What The Film ‘Spencer’ Gets Right And Wrong About Princess Diana
February 24, 1981 – the time when Princess Diana was engaged with Prince Charles. From that day onwards, she became the center of all media as her beauty outshines the universe. When she reigned the Princess of Wales, she officially shouldered the duties and responsibilities on behalf of Queen Elizabeth and she well-managed all functions of the Commonwealth. The same as normal people, Princess Diana also had her ups and downs in life – from being in love up to getting divorced with Prince Charles, from trying to be the perfect wife up to find herself involved in numerous relationships due to her husband’s disloyalty, and so on. She is one of the most influential persons up until this day for her legacy – she left a great impact not just in the royal family but also in British society. She showed people unconventional approaches by not being afraid to do things that normal people do. She became an icon because of ‘the one thing’ that she can do best – charity work.
There are a lot of movies and series that overshadow the life of Princess Diana. The latest reiteration of Princess Diana’s life was the movie ‘Spencer’, directed by Pablo Larraín. In this movie, Kristen Stewart earned acclaimed commentaries from the media and the public as she portrayed Lady Spencer, gorgeously. The movie rolled off during the royal family’s Christmas holidays wherein Princess Diana ascertained herself about her separation with Prince Charles and went forth on her own trail. Although the movie was praised by a lot of individuals, here are some truths and untruths between Spencer and Princess Diana:
- The royal family used to celebrate Christmas holidays in Sandringham, where Princess Diana was born. They do bizarre traditions such as exchanging gifts, having formal dinner during Christmas Eve, attending church, and so on.
- The weighing tradition of the royal family before and after Christmas is to make sure that everyone is well-fed. This tradition started during King Edward VII’s reign.
- Princess Diana endures bulimia. Due to a high level of anxiety and depression during her married life, she tends to binge.
- Less intimate interaction of Princess Diana to Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. There might be some rough adjustment between her relationship to the Queen and Prince, but later on, during Princess Diana’s hard times with Prince Charles, they were always on her side and comforted her truthfully.
- Park House, the childhood home of Princess Diana, was not deserted. In 1987, it was remodeled as a forthcoming place for people with disabilities.
- Princess Diana did not initiate the divorce, it was Charle’s. This was the deepest tragedy of her life knowing that she came from a divorced family.
- According to royal personnel, Princess Diana escorted her two sons to McDonald’s not in KFC because they wanted to have the toys.
There might be various tell-all stories about Princess Diana but she will always be the figure of a strong, independent woman who has the courage to take on all challenges in life.