A Timeline of the Relationship Between Prince Charles And Lady Diana
Despite having the “wedding of the century”, Prince Charles and Lady Diana’s relationship was far from a “happily ever after” story. Their marriage was a circulation of controversies and scandals. It has been two decades after Princess Diana’s death yet their relationship is still one of the hot seats of social media and the press.
Here’s the timeline of their rough relationship:
- Charles and Diana’s first encounter was at the Althorp House wherein the prince was still dating Diana’s older sister, Sarah. Shortly after their relationship ended, Charles and Diana were both asked to spend the weekend at Philip de Pass’s family home in Sussex, where Diana expresses her sorrow about the death of his beloved great-uncle, Lord Mountbatten.
- Their relationship was confirmed when Diana was spotted at Balmoral. Prince Charles proposed to Diana at Windsor Castle and the press immediately went wild with their engagement, particularly when Charles answered, “whatever ‘in love’ means.” when asked about being in love.
- Lady Diana was skeptical about getting married to Prince Charles after knowing that Charles’ bracelet was a gift from Camilla but her sisters told her that it was too late to back off.
- Prince Charles took a five-week trip to Australia and New Zealand, leaving his new wife behind.
- When Prince William and Prince Harry were born, Diana was diagnosed with postpartum depression.
- Diana and Charles’ relationship was full of downfalls. Both of them had external affairs, with Charles entangled with Camilla and Diana with James Hewitt.
- During these times, the couple was reaching rock bottom. There were tons of talk about a royal breakup in the headlines due to Diana’s absence from some of the royal family’s events.
- The book entitled, “Diana: Her True Story” by Andrew Morton contains a scathing account of the marriage breakdown, Charles’ affair with Camilla, and Diana’s mental health struggles.
- Prime Minister John Major declared in the House of Commons that the Prince and Princess of Wales are divorcing; clearing, and emphasizing that it was settled peacefully. It is stated that both will still carry on with raising their children. The palace also voided the idea of having a third party. After the announcement, both Charles and Diana remained silent about it and went on their separate ways.
- Princess Diana expressed her greatest sorrow in her 1995 interview with BBC, stating that both of them were struggling and they no longer had any interest in each other. Their divorce was concluded in August 1996.